This week I adapted a recipe from Food Network star, Molly Yeh. I didn't change up the original recipe too much but did decide on a pan sear of the gnocchi in a sage butter just go give it a little extra texture.
About the Cut:
Full of beef flavor and fall-off-the-bone tender, but also available boneless. Grill or slow-roast for a succulent beef dish.
The Short Ribs come from the Rib Primal. The Rib Primal is situated under the front section of the backbone and used primarily for support. Popular cuts from the Rib include the rich, flavorful Ribeye Steak and the Prime Rib Roast.
Optimal Cooking Methods: Braising, Pressure Cooking, Broiling, Sous Vide
*Information taken from www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com
Braised Short Ribs with Pan Seared Gnocchi
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
3 packages Wells Farms Short Ribs
2-3 Large carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
2 stems fresh thyme
pinch of red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cup red wine
3-4 cups beef stock
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 Tbsp dried parsley
3 Tbsp butter
1 package gnocchi
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a Dutch oven. Sprinkle short ribs with salt and pepper and sear the short ribs in the hot olive oil on all sides. Remove to a plate.
3. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to Dutch oven, if needed. Add carrots, onion, and celery and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.
4. Add garlic, tomato paste, rosemary, thyme, red pepper flakes. Cook for a minute and then stir together.
5. Add the wine and bring to a boil, scrapping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to get all the little bits incorporated. Add bay leaves and 3 cups of beef broth. Add back in the short ribs. Cover and bake in the oven. Stirring about halfway through. You can add more beef broth if needed. Cook for 2 - 2 1/2 hours, until the short ribs are tender and falling apart.
6. Bring a pot of water to boil and cook gnocchi according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat 2 Tablespoons butter in a pan with 1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage. Drain the gnocchi and immediately place in the pan with the melted herb butter. Cook until they are slightly browned and crispy.
7. Optional: Toasted Panko Breadcrumbs - heat 1 tbsp butter in a pan, add panko breadcrumbs and parsley. Cook until slightly browned and remove from heat.
7. Serve gnocchi topped with short rib and sauce and optional toasted panko breadcrumbs.